Sunday, May 17, 2020

In Memory Of My Friend Bill Westmoreland

I wrote this memory below of my very special friend Bill Westmoreland in November of 1998. His sister Jane Westmoreland found me yesterday, 5/16/2020, via Facebook and hearing from her brought his memory back in my life. Bill will always be in my heart. 



The Jewish tradition of remembering loved ones comes to mind when I think of Bill since by remembering someone, they stay alive.  Bill died in 1994, but he is forever alive in my heart and in his sister's heart and memory.  He was a very special friend.

Bill and Jo Ann - 1979



(Unfortunately, the photo of me and Bill below has disappeared, but I was able to scan it again and added it above.)

In memory of my friend
Bill Westmoreland
Bill and Jo Ann -- Christmas 1979

Dan and I had a wonderful friend named Bill, from our Atherton House days. Bill made me laugh. Bill made me happy. He loved animals; and in our backyard, he raised chickens, ducks, turkeys, and rabbits. His best friend was a girl named Allison who never wore any shoes. They loved to cook together, and experimented with all sorts of recipes: one failed: orange pie! One day, Bill and Allison surprised everyone with some home made stew -- it was rabbit stew-- directly from our backyard!

We shared our food at the Atherton House with Bill. We still have some food marked "DJB" (Dan, Jo Ann, and Bill)! When we moved out of the house, we named one of our refrigerators after Bill.

Bill loved to play the piano. We had an old piano at the house that we bought from Russ Park for $400 cash. Bill loved to play "The Entertainer." He didn't mind listening to me play, although I never played on time or on key.

Bill also rode a motorcycle. He loved going out to ride with his friend Bob, who also lived in the House. They looked like quite a pair when they rode together. Bill was the one who originally brought Bob to the House.

Bill also went skating with me; he was always willing to make new friends and try something new. He had a temper too. He came from a big family and he raised his younger sisters since their father was never around, and their mother died when they were all quite young.

Bill was such a dear and wonderful friend, and I loved him so much.

Bill was kicked out of the Atherton House when he "came out" as being gay. At first he visited the house, since we were "his family", but as time went on, he paved his own way. We didn't see him much as the years passed. He had a job as a radiology technician and bought a home in Fountain Valley, California.

Eventually Bill told us he was HIV Positive, and near the end of his life, he sold his home and moved to Georgia where his sister could take care of him. He bought a new piano and during the end of his life, he played it daily. He called us several times near the end, and I remember him telling me he was looking forward to dying since it would finally be over and he would be free from pain.

Bill died on October 3, 1994. I miss him so much.
--------------------------------------------
Jo Ann Schneider Farris
November 16, 1998
(Bill's birthday falls on November 17th; I just happened to write this memorial about him near his birthday!)
--------------------------------------------




FURTHER READING:


No comments:

Post a Comment